There was in fact an amendment to these Guidelines passed by the majority of Members on March 31, 2016. The amendment is as follows:
“Amendment to Guideline 2 Organization Guidelines adopted Dec. 30, 2014 Members of the Order of Leviathan can be General Members or Guiding Members. In recognition that the Order must have a treasury to function, annual dues have been established at $40. Those wishing to play an active role in the Order pay these dues forthwith and are considered Guiding Members who have shown their support and dedication to the Order through their financial endorsement. Guiding Members receive access to the Order of Leviathan online forums, have say in all voting processes, and may run for and hold office within the Steering Committee. All members who are not Guiding Members, are considered General Members and are still considered as honored members but have no voice in voting procedures.”
This now forms the content of
The Guidelines: From An amendment to the Articles of the Order of Leviathan: December 30, 2014 and simplified Feb 09, 2016. Prepared for Members vote by the Steering Committee
1. To be a member one must be Nominated, Elected, and Inducted into the Order of Leviathan. All members are responsible to abide by the Order’s Code set forth below.
2. Members of the Order of Leviathan can be General Members or Guiding Members. In recognition that the Order must have a treasury to function, annual dues have been established at $40. Those wishing to play an active role in the Order pay these dues forthwith and are considered Guiding Members who have shown their support and dedication to the Order through their financial endorsement.
Guiding Members receive access to the Order of Leviathan online forums, have say in all voting processes, and may run for and hold office within the Steering Committee. All members who are not Guiding Members are considered General Members and are still considered as honored members but have no voice in voting procedures.
3. Elections are held every two years. Each member of the Order (General Members and Guiding Members) can present one nominee each election cycle.
13 New members will be inducted each election cycle as voted upon by majority vote of the Guiding Membership. Mutiny Magazine in coordination with our founder Talderoy is the official arbiter of the Induction process, and as such reserves the right to make changes to the Induction procedure and has final say to the procedure.
4. The Steering Committee is responsible for the daily operation of the Order of Leviathan.
Steering Committee positions are working officer positions
with specific duties and deadlines.
There is a substantial time commitment required. The Steering Committee is dedicated to working with both the East and West coasts to unite all Order members to further Leviathan spirit wherever members shall be and to help with organizational activities such as event planning.
5. Master Leviathans are former Officers of the Order and serve the Steering Committee in an advisory capacity.
6. If any member has a concern or topic to be brought before the membership, they can submit it to the Steering Committee, who will present it to the Guiding Membership and onto the general membership if warranted. See further information on the Fo’c’sle Council on our website.
7. No member of the Order outside of the Steering Committee may represent him or herself as speaking for the Order of Leviathan as a whole, without first gaining permission from the Steering Committee.
8. As members of the Order we agree to treat all other
members with the same respect that we expect in turn.
We hold each other in the highest esteem.
Personal grievances are to be set aside and members are to
treat each other professionally both in public and on social media.
Unsettled grievances that continue will be brought before
the Guiding Membership for a vote on how to end the matter through the Steering
Under the most grievous matters members can be placed under private censure, membership suspension, or membership can be withdrawn.
These include: harassment, assault, stalking, willful damage of property, and theft from the Order.
Such action requires a majority vote by the Guiding Members.
Cases of criminal activity where there is a conviction of a felony or violent crime will be grounds for immediate rejection from the Order.
Any actions that bring the Order of Leviathan itself into
disrepute will be examined on a case by case basis by the Steering Committee
and the Master Leviathans.
At no time in public forum is the Order of Leviathan to be brought into arguments that may occur.
9. Use or publication of the logo of the Leviathan insignia or the name “Order of Leviathan” for purposes of charity or business must be approved by the Steering Committee.
No contracts may be signed using the Order of Leviathan name
without prior consent by the leadership and/or its guiding members as a whole.
The Order’s symbols may not be reproduced for commercial use
without approval of the Steering Committee.
The leviathan symbol is held by our brothers- and
sisters-in-arms within the pirate community.
Purchase of such items as the Ring, the Medallion, the Buckle or any other talisman comes with the understanding that they may not be purchased for, nor sold, or given to anyone outside of the membership of the Order.
Should a member decide to sell such items, the Order shall
have first right of purchase at original cost.
Any member who wishes to wear the official silver Ring, or the buckle have the right to do so. The Order of Leviathan does not provide these items and they must be purchased separately by the Member.
Skinny Dog Designs is the official sanctioned Ring Maker for
the Order of Leviathan and all rings must be made by and purchased from Skinny
The Order of Leviathan Medallion and Buckle are made by Mad Davy Flint.
In recognition of their efforts on behalf of the Order,
members of the Steering Committee only are entitled to have a gemstone of their
choice placed in one of the eyes of the Ring’s skull.
Master Leviathans are entitled to purchase a special Silver
or Gold Master Leviathan Ring as a symbol of their service.
All Tattoos must be done by either an official O.O.L. Tattoo
Artist or other professional, qualified, and sanctioned Tattoo Artist, as
approved by Founder Member Talderoy or ( in his absence) the Master Leviathans.
Tattoo design may not be altered with the exception of adding member’s name or title within the Order, to show pride in the Order.
10. Commercial use of the Order of Leviathan Logo must be
approved by the Steering Committee and shall involve a portion of the proceeds
going to the Order of Leviathan. Such items will only be made available to
members of the Order. Members are permitted to make stickers, vinyl transfers
and emblems for member’s use only and shall not exceed 24” x 24”.
T -shirts, hoodies, and hats remain an exclusive fund raising tool for the Order. The Original Logo and Artwork shall remain unaltered. However it may be used as part of a new design to show member’s pride on members’ only merchandise, personal belongings, and on social media, as approved by the Steering Committee. Members will refer to the Order as the “Order of Leviathan” or internally as OoL.
11. The Order of Leviathan shall be held Harmless for any injury, loss of personal property, property damage, or loss of life. You agree to hold harmless the Order of Leviathan and its members while in the capacity of holding any event using the Order of Leviathan Insignia or representing the Order of Leviathan in any public or private venue. Each member is responsible for his/her own actions.
12. In order to protect the Officers and Founders from Liability, to be a member of the Order of Leviathan, these guidelines MUST be acknowledged and signed. The Order of Leviathan requires a written declaration that these guidelines have been read and understood.
13. Confidentiality: Anything shared privately within the Order (whether in person, writing, electronic media, etc) shall be treated as confidential within the Order and is not to be shared publicly without prior approval from the involved parties or as approved by the Helmsman as part of a statement of censure.
14. Hall of Leviathan:
"Once Leviathan – always Leviathan."